Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fork-tailed Flycatcher showing yellow crown stripe

This is another picture of the Fork-tailed Flycatcher in Stamford CT from my second visit to the Cove Island Park site. I particularly like this picture because of the yellow crown stripe - I think many Tyrant flycatchers have this sort of thing, including Eastern Kingbird and Couch's Kingbird from my personal experience - but like an Orange-crowned Warbler or Ruby-crowned Kinglet it's usually hidden. The FTFL was being harassed by Mockingbirds on this morning, and a couple of times had flared the yellow crown patch out of irritation, and in this photo it still shows partially (it's larger than this in display) even though it's not being chased by Mockingbirds right at this moment.

9 comments:

Springman said...

Phil,
Your Fork-tailed Flycatcher is perfectly photographed. I gave it the old double click treatment and the detail is jaw dropping, the setting Divine. What amazes me about bird photography is the level of skill some folks have reached capturing the image of a tiny, wickedly fast, minutely detailed animal. I just shake my head in wondrous disbelief.
;-)WBW

Empty Nester said...

Beautiful bird/capture!

Small City Scenes said...

Excellent shot of this bird.
We have the Pacific Flycatcher here--not nearly as colorful but sweet anyway. MB

Anonymous said...

Beautiful capture! It's great you were able to get the yellow stripe on its head, that looks so nice!

jeanlivingsimple said...

Outstanding photo of a bird that is on my Wish List!

Ryan Ankeny said...

Outstanding shot. You are really telented!

Sondra said...

What a great shot--would love to add this guy to my Life List.

jeanlivingsimple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilke Breder said...

Fantastic image! None of the other pics of the fork-tailed flycatcher have shown the crown stripe. In fact, all the photos on your blog page are terrific; so I signed up as a follower.